SteamOS, games programming, and D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Sep 27 09:43:47 PDT 2013

Am 27.09.2013 18:02, schrieb Kapps:
> On Friday, 27 September 2013 at 15:50:48 UTC, evilrat wrote:
>> On Friday, 27 September 2013 at 14:43:06 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
>> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> So, what with the new SteamOS/SteamBox announcement ...
>>>
>>> http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
>>> http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/
>>>
>>> ... is this a serious opportunity for D to start carving out space in
>>> the games industry?  What issues need to be addressed for D to be a
>>> superb games development tool for Linux?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>>    -- Joe
>>
>> what serious game engine could go without dynamic libs? add to this
>> existing tools(debuggers/IDE's) problems and you already where you
>> started, no one would bother doing something real for full time...
>>
>> that is the sad truth about current D state.
>
> The next version of DMD will support dynamic loading of C / D libraries
> on Linux I believe.

I was being a bit polemic on purpose when I referred Unity, but the
thing is D has C# against it, at least in two fronts already.

Unity with all this cool stuff,
http://unity3d.com/unite/archive/2013

PS Vita Suite,
http://develop.scee.net/files/presentations/jordan2012/2012-Jordan%20Game%20Summit-PlayStation%20Mobile.pdf

Here in Germany, quite a few indie studios are already making heavy use
of C# in their tooling and prototypes. As I get to read in the Making
Games German magazine.

--
Paulo