dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Fri Sep 27 15:46:06 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 20:48:58 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> We've been experimenting with http://code.dlang.org for a while
> and things are going well. In particular Sönke has been very
> active about maintaining and improving it, which brings further
> confidence in the future of the project.
>
> We're considering making dub the official package manager for
> D. What do you all think?
>

> Andrei

Well, you've started the mother of all bikeshed threads, as every
dev/sysadmin has a different opinion on how to handle packages.
;) There have been some valid concerns raised about whether dub
should do all the stuff it does, but I think they're largely moot
at this point, given the small size of the D community.  Better a
tool that does everything initially, as current D users are
inevitably developers, which can then be split up and specialized
later if necessary.

I've used dub on FreeBSD and was impressed with both the tool and
how clean the code is, even though there were small
linking/library incompatibilities that meant I had to hack a
workaround into dub to compile vibe.d.  Sonke was remarkably
responsive to my feedback, I cannot imagine there will be a
better option for a D package manager and developer.