John Carmack on Eclipse performance

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Sep 28 06:59:06 PDT 2013

Am 28.09.2013 15:26, schrieb Klaim - Joël Lamotte:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org
> <mailto:pjmlp at progtools.org>> wrote:
>
>     - It is 4 years time until 2017, plus the time compilers will need
>     to adopt it, how relevant in the industry would that standard still be?
>

> This argument is not much valid anymore.
> Most language or library features are implemented for testing before a
> proposal is voted in (because of previous fisaco)
> C++14 draft is fully supported in Clang at this time, and is even
> modified real time from votes happening this week.
>
> I mean, except if you work with Visual Studio, compiler adoption is not
> really that long now.
> The only real barrier is company policy. Now I don't want to work on a
> company that impose artificial limitations on improvements
> (other than time obviously).

Except the world of C and C++ is not just clang, gcc and visual studio,
there are lots of compilers out there besides those.

Secondly, on the enterprise world of Fortune 500 consulting, where I
work, most of the time one is required to use whatever toolchain the
customer's IT allows for.

Working with latest standards is a startup thing, or small team projects.

There are lots of realities out there.

--
Paulo