John Carmack on Eclipse performance

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:22:56 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> Except the world of C and C++ is not just clang, gcc and visual studio,
> there are lots of compilers out there besides those.

That is discutable, but it's hard to find evidence on which compilers are
the most used (I'm thinking also about the Metrowerks, Borland and Intel
compilers).

> Secondly, on the enterprise world of Fortune 500 consulting, where I work,
> most of the time one is required to use whatever toolchain the customer's
> IT allows for.

Yes but what I meant is that you chose to work with that constraint, I did
that and don't want to anymore because it just kills improvements for
everybody to not being able
to at least try see what's the cost of upgrading a compiler.

> Working with latest standards is a startup thing, or small team projects.

Tell that to Facebook.
Ok I guess it's a recent company, but it's not small. The point is that the
real problem is more the availability of C++ programmers that knows enough
improve the situation constantly, and the willing of managers to empower
them to do so.
It have nothing to do with team size.
I've seen startup go exactly the other way just because keeping the tools
at old stable versions is what the technical director is used to.
It don't mean it's bad or not.

It just mean time of implementation in most compilers is not a argument "in
general" if you prefer.

> There are lots of realities out there.

More than you might think :D