SteamOS, games programming, and D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 01:47:57 PDT 2013

On 29 September 2013 01:20, Benjamin Thaut <code at benjamin-thaut.de> wrote:

> Am 28.09.2013 12:06, schrieb evilrat:
>
>  On Saturday, 28 September 2013 at 08:25:22 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>>
>>> Am 27.09.2013 16:43, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
>>>
>>> Also a graphical debugger is usually the base requirement for gamedev.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>> Benjamin Thaut
>>>

>> u mean debugger with GUI or just directx/opengl debugger? for second one
>> can use any existing ones, all works fine with D. as for GUI debugger,
>> IMHO the best one is visuald plugin.
>>

> Graphical debugger means something like the visual studio debugger. I use
> VisualD but it is not quite there yet. There a still numerous issues left
> where the debugger doesn't work / displays wrong values etc.
>
> DirectX/OpenGL debuggers are usually external tools, so this is not an
> issue.

I've had gDebugger working on Linux, and it works fairly well.
It's not quite PIX, but it's definitely useful. It doesn't seem to have
shader debugging, but it does have a feature where you can edit the shader
at runtime and see it's effect immediately, and you can use that to help
isolate shader bugs.