[RFC] - mysql-native rewrite

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Sep 30 08:40:44 PDT 2013

On Monday, 30 September 2013 at 14:08:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 30 September 2013 at 14:00:10 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> It would be nice, if someone with experience wrote a short
>> article / tutorial about when to use structs and when to use
>> classes, where the pitfalls are etc.
>
> I don't think there is a common consensus here. Don't even
> think it is possible. Doom of proper multi-paradigm language :)

Well, if people shared their experience with ranges / structs vs.
classes, it would be a good reference point for other
programmers. There might not be any real rules, but rough
guidelines would help, e.g. "If you want to achieve X, structs
are better, because blah blah. But if you want to do Y, there
might be a problem with structs. Better use classes." Maybe
structs are better suited for parallel processing and multi
threading (value vs reference), or maybe not? Just a collection
of little hints would make life simpler. I'm sure someone has
shot him/herself seriously in the foot using either structs or
classes.

I use structs mainly for a. formatting and reformatting (I/O) and
b. data storage. Classes I use for the overall logic of the
program (with the usual suspects like controller, model, proxies
...) But I'm always willing to learn new tricks (this dog is not
too old yet!).