(DO NOT POST TO HACKERNEWS/REDDIT/ETC.) RFC for a Community Newsletter for D: What's New in D Draft #1

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Apr 1 18:05:18 PDT 2014

On 4/1/14, 4:25 PM, Meta wrote:
> Thanks to an unexpected free afternoon due to a brutal spring blizzard,
> and large amount of caffeine, I've come up with an initial draft of a D
> newsletter. It's tentatively named "What's New in D", and it's purpose
> is to aggregate the important community news in one place, as well as to
> give D some well-deserved publicity.

This is awesome. I intentionally have little to say on the content
proper because of the considerations that follow.

1. As one who led similar efforts (magazine columns etc) I concur that
this is a marathon more than a jog.

2. Because of that, make sure whatever you do you get satisfaction from
it. That means enjoying freedom to choose content and format etc. Do it
the way it pleases you, of course with feedback from the community since
you'll derive a good fraction of your enjoyment from the positive feedback.

3. Choose a pace that works for you, and try to keep it.

4. Accept contributions and contributors, but try to give the newsletter
personality by writing it in your "voice".

Andrei