C++ interface.

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:33:24 PDT 2014

On 4/2/2014 7:30 PM, monnoroch wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 April 2014 at 04:59:11 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> People who are concerned about cross-language compatibility should be
>> implementing C interfaces to their C++ libraries anyway. Yes, it's a
>> nice, convenient feature to have, but ultimately there are more
>> important things, IMO.
>
> True. But i find myself with like 10+Gb of c++ sources, are you
> suggesting that i should write C wrapper for all that code to use D? Or
> maby you suggesting that i have to make all my (hundreds) collegs write
> C wrappers for all new code? I really just trying to start D community
> in company i work, and there is no way to do it without nice integration
> with old codebase.

What I'm suggesting is that there are a lot of people with a lot of
different priorities and still a lot of work to be done just to get the
core language features where they need to be. D already has interop with
C and that's been extremely important. While I think it would be
fantastic to have fully-functional C++ interop so that one could just
drop a D module into a project and take off, I wouldn't expect that to
be a major priority at this time.