Table lookups - this is pretty definitive

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Apr 2 15:06:53 PDT 2014

Walter Bright:

> I don't see why not. Note that we couldn't do this for
> extern(C) functions, or variadics, or caller functions with
> parameters that need destruction, or parameters that may refer
> to any locals. That last constraint might be a doozy, however.
>
> Why not submit an enhancement request to bugzilla?

So what does it happen if I (by mistake or by ignorance) try to
use this on a function that doesn't satisfy one of those
requirements? D can't give an error in that case because it's a
big breaking change. So is D in that case just silently not
performing the tail call as the programmer meant?

Bye,
bearophile