(DO NOT POST TO HACKERNEWS/REDDIT/ETC.) RFC for a Community Newsletter for D: What's New in D Draft #1

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:42:59 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 3 April 2014 at 16:07:06 UTC, Meta wrote:

> The links, especially the Github ones, tend to be quite long,
> and I didn't want to take up too much space with them,
> especially with the "one link per line" format.

To clarify, I'm not against descriptive text serving as a link;
my concern was only regarding the link formatting causing breaks
in sentence flow.  I just used markdown-style notation for
convenience in my example.

>> Suggest bulleted list, maybe below the important NG threads.
>> But what qualifies as a smaller announcement?
>
> That's what I'm trying to figure out. I may just use my own
> judgement to figure out what's important, although I am open to
> suggestions.

Point releases for libs/tools/applications might be good.  Meant
to mention that before, but forgot.

> That's true, it'll always be in the changelog. Already, though,
> Dicebot has suggested that the -vgc pull should be featured
> more prominently. I agree, and I am somewhat worried about
> making a "wrong" choice for what to feature.

A rule of thumb might be to point out things that could
potentially change someone's workflow, either by adding new tools
or by changing/tightening the semantics of a feature.

> Also, what is GMN?

Gentoo Weekl^w Monthly Newsletter.

> Thanks for the links. The word "newsletter" is probably a
> misnomer, as that makes this sound more professional than it
> is. This is really just an attempt to aggregate the important
> news together in one place, the same as TWiR.

Huh, I've never thought of it that way.  Silly languages and
their vagueness.  But that is pretty much what all the
(successful) distro newsletters are like, so we agree in spirit!
;)

Cheers,
Wyatt