sfloat24 Floating Point DataType - Request for Comments

Bill Buckels bbuckels at mts.net
Fri Apr 4 05:16:49 PDT 2014

On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 02:09:11 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I think sfloat24 may only be more performant on 16 bit or low
> cost embedded processors. Currently D does not target these.

I understand D's current target, and rationale. So where's the
advantage?

Why would D need sfloat24?

Fernando's presence in a meaningful discussion would be
interesting on that point.

> I can't see how an emulated floating 24-bit floating point type
> could out-perform a native floating point type.

Fernando's presence in a meaningful discussion would be
interesting on that point as well.

On the 386 without a 387 and using a soft floating point link
library, the performance degradation was incredible.

Going back earlier, running Autocad on an 8086 without an 8087
was impossible.

x---x

You don't mention precision, so I assume that's not an issue.

In general use like banking software, the floating types that we
already have are sufficient, and also well understood.

Other applications that occasionally use floating point work well.

Fernando's presence in a meaningful discussion would be
interesting on that point as well.

At this point, this thread seems a waste of everyone's time even
in a general D language forum.

Bill