Specifying C++ symbols in C++ namespaces

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Fri Apr 4 14:19:13 PDT 2014

On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 20:06:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> We already have a scope operator, '.', don't need another one.

It is more clear to the reader that it is an external namespace
and you avoid renaming because then C++ has it's own namespace in
D reducing the chances of clashes. But it's a minor issue,
although I think it is important for long term maintainability of
code to easily discriminate between C++ function calls (which
tend to be supportive lower level libraries/engines) and D
function calls (which tend to be higher level code).

When you do contract work on many projects for different small
businesses, you often get requests for modifications/additions
1-2 times a year or so. The less chance of code
misinterpretation, the better.