Specifying C++ symbols in C++ namespaces

Mason McGill mmcgill at caltech.edu
Sat Apr 5 11:32:04 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 5 April 2014 at 15:24:32 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> This is very practical thing. By introducing special constructs
> to support some foreign language you open the can of worms.
> Where does one stop? Should we also expect adding some new
> idioms for better JNI support? Or Python? I can't see any
> reason why C++ has to be any special and you can't nicely
> support them all. We don't even truly do this for C and this
> the only real ABI standard.

Another way to put this is that D is its own language, not a C++
extension.  IMO, an FFI should make interoperability possible via
ABI matching, but it should not compromise the language (by
making its scoping rules more complicated, introducing redundant
constructs, or introducing a new token ("::") that could be used
for another feature).