A very fast linker to replace gcc's ld

Joakim dlang at joakim.airpost.net
Sun Apr 6 00:55:50 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 5 April 2014 at 23:56:49 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 April 2014 at 22:30:28 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> on Arch that's gold.
>
> it is? Not for me, unless I'm missing something.

Sorry, I made a mistake.  Dmd simply invokes the system C
compiler and the linker that it uses.  I set CC to clang and
build dmd trunk with it.  Clang uses gold, which is what led me
to assume it was the default.  But I just checked and gcc, the
default C compiler on Arch, uses bfd ld, so it depends on what
you use as your C compiler.

On Sunday, 6 April 2014 at 00:15:21 UTC, Asman01 wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 April 2014 at 22:30:28 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Dmd already uses whatever the system linker is and on Arch
>> that's gold.  The Android NDK also uses gold by default,
>> though they also provide the original bfd ld and a newer
>> llvm-based linker started by MediaTek, mclinker:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/mclinker/
>
> Well, as far I know, it does invoke gcc and gcc does use the
> ld. I see this with -v flag. What am I missing? I'll check out
> this llvm-based linker. If it's the linker which I've hear they
> are planing to replace gcc ld it's a big step.

See above, I was wrong.

As for llvm-based linkers, there are a couple going around.  The
one you're probably thinking of is lld:

http://lld.llvm.org/