Table lookups - this is pretty definitive

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 07:11:26 PDT 2014

On Monday, 7 April 2014 at 11:35:37 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On 04/01/2014 08:35 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Try this benchmark comparing various classification schemes:
>
> Counter example:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/commit/8599d6b4acde0eff886876a56f54ecd8e6b528e9

It's all a matter of how complicated the "non-table"
implementation is I guess. table-lookup has a "steep entry cost",
but is constant, regardless of complexity.

Table lookups were "recently" removed from std.ascii too. The
implementation walter is benching "against" is particularly
complicated here.