mysql-native project's direction (Was: mysql-native: newbie questions)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Apr 7 15:10:16 PDT 2014

On 4/7/2014 1:27 PM, Steve Teale wrote:>
 > Quite by accident/coincidence, I recently returned to my mysqln effort
 > to see if it would still build with the latest dmd.
 >
 > I had also reinstalled MySQL recently so it was a different version, and
 > that resulted in a few tweaks to the unit tests. However, other than
 > that, I had no great problem.
 >
 > I then set about trying to minimize memory allocations, and hopefully
 > get the thing to be a bit more speedy. I think I have made some
 > improvements there.

Nice to see your return to mysql-native!

Which version of the codebase are you resuming from? I don't know how
much of this you're aware of, but there's been some happenings in the
mysql-native world during your absence:

Several part-time contributors (including myself) have been doing
maintenance on a fork of your original code. This fork has pretty much
become the de-facto "main" mysql-native and lives here:

https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/mysql-native

(I hope we haven't messed anything up too badly!)

One of the important changes in that fork (in my potentially-biased
opinion), verses your original version is that we've added optional
support for Vibe.d's sockets, which (long story short) is very important
for those of us who use mysql-native in Vibe.d-based applications.

Also, simendsjo has recently been working on a cleaned-up rewrite over
here (not yet finished, AIUI):

https://github.com/simendsjo/mysqln

There are a handful of regular mysql-native contributors, but so far
nobody has been able to dedicate more than just occasional time and
effort to it. So I think it's important to the project that we don't
spread our already-limited resources too thin by managing several
different divergent forks.

Ideally, I'd like to see us pick one fork and concentrate
development/maintenance efforts on it. If simendsjo's rewrite is close
enough to being ready, I suggest we pick it and help him put together
any remaining pieces.