Use C++ exception model in D

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Wed Apr 9 01:21:51 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at 20:07:09 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> Most of the areas where DMD is 'odd' are a case of "I can't
> figure out the right way, so any way is better than no way".
> That's particularly true for var args and eh.  I'm confident
> that pulls that fix these issues can and will be accepted.  I'm
> less confident that someone will volunteer to fix it, but it's
> something I care about.

The problem is that there are only very few people who are
familiar enough with the DMD backend to work on such changes.

And quite understandably so – to be quite honest, I myself am not
particularly interested in spending a nontrivial amount of time
to get acquainted with a dated, sparsely documented codebase that
I will not be able to use in other projects. It certainly is an
interesting piece of software and getting acquainted with its
internals is probably a nice intellectual exercise, but so far,
most people interested in tackling the ABI situation are already
busy with another backend.

Sure, one way to go about this would be to just sit down and
implement a common ABI in GDC and LDC (hackathon at
London/Zürich/… anyone?) and then hope that some random
contributor turns up later on and fixes DMD to conform to the
standard we agreed on. But this does not necessarily strike me as
a productive gamble…

David