memcpy, memset, memcmp and friends in the D Runtime

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 06:26:37 PDT 2014

"Mike"  wrote in message news:ycvyulqzunbsuweipais at forum.dlang.org...

> Let me ask you this:  From a principled D design point of view, is
> core.stdc an interface only for ports with a C library, an implementation
> detail of the current druntime that phobos is circumventing, or an
> official, supported interface that all complying ports must implement?

>From a principled D design point of view, only targets with a C library are
supported.  core.stdc is part of the public interface of druntime (as is
everything in core) and not an implementation.

There is no real definition in D for what a 'complying port' is, but many D
applications and libraries will not run if you do not implement the
commonly-used parts of core.stdc.  Full coverage is likely unrealistic for a
bare-metal implementation.

> If the latter, why is it non-existing in the library reference?

Because there is no ddoc for these files, and nobody has gone to the effort
to make them show up on the website.  Whatever the original intention,
enough code using them exists that removing them will never be an option.
They probably should just link to the official c-lib documentation.