Heartbleed and static analysis

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Apr 13 01:55:47 PDT 2014

Am 13.04.2014 00:38, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:10:55PM +0000, froglegs wrote:
>>   Why do they write such important code in C to begin with? C is
>> garbage compared to C++.  With C++ they wouldn't need to drop down to
>> raw pointers and would never have these problems.
> [...]
>

> If you were to ask me 5-10 years ago which language was better, I'd say
> C++. Today, I'm not so sure anymore. Both suck. And I'm not sure which
> one sucks more -- 5 years ago I'd say C, but now I'm leaning towards
> saying C++.

20 years ago I would have answered both are bad and Object Pascal/Delphi
is the way.

Sadly Borland did lots of major screw ups and let the language momentum
fade away.

C++ provides safer ways to code than C, but it requires competent
programmers.

However both C and C++ require competent programmers above what the
market is willing to pay, and on my area switching to C doesn't help
improve the quality.

Every now and then, I feel nostalgic of not writing C++ or even with my
prejudices C code at work, but then I look at the quality of code that
gets written in our outsourcing projects and get a relief not having to

Paulo