dec64 decimal floating point type

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Sun Apr 13 11:42:45 PDT 2014

On 13/04/2014 4:29 PM, Francesco Cattoglio wrote:

> I don't quite see the point in this, when there is already a standard
> for floating point decimals
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal64_floating-point_format
> I really should take a deeper look at this, it might be more interesting
> that I am expecting.

The talk I watched only touched on the motivation for a new format very
briefly, but the gist was that the existing offerings were too
computationally expensive to emulate in software and hardware support is
not forthcoming. My understanding is that this format is designed around
what can be done efficiently with the instructions that are available in
hardware today.

A...