dec64 decimal floating point type

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 15 00:12:42 PDT 2014

I contacted Doug to ask if he had any additional resources that I could
use to make my argument for DEC64. I only got a brief reply (happy to
get any reply from someone so busy) to the effect that everything he has
to say on the matter is in the motivation segment of his web site for
the proposal [1].

The most salient part is the last 2 sentences...

 >	A later revision of IEEE 754 attempted to remedy this, but the
 >	formats it recommended were so inefficient that it has not
 >	found much acceptance. DEC64 is a better alternative.

I encourage anyone who is dismissive of the adoption of DEC64 or who
would prefer to see the IEEE decimal floats implemented to take the time
to read the full article. I also recommend the presentation that alerted
me to DEC64 either in full (46:10) [2] or at least just the segment
about numbers [3].

A...

[1]	http://dec64.org
[2]	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgVHE5Augc