DIP60: @nogc attribute

monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 15 12:57:58 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 at 17:01:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP60
>
> Start on implementation:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3455

I have an issue related to adding an extra attribute: Attributes
of non-template functions. Currently, you have to mark most
functions as already pure, nothrow and @safe. If we are adding
another attribute. Code will start looking alike this:

int someTrivialFunction(int i) @safe pure nothrow @nogc;

*If* we introduce "yet" another attribute, then I think it should
be worth considering adding the simple "@infered" or
"@everything" wildcard or something.

Having a function whose attributes takes more room than the
signature proper is pretty bad :/

Kind of not *directly* related to @nogc, but this DIP adds
relevance to the "issue".

I mean, if we want this to actually be useful in Phobos (or
other), it will require *massive* tagging all over the place.