"Spawn as many thousand threads as you like" and D

Bienlein via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 16 06:59:14 PDT 2014

When looking at the success of Go it seems to me that it is
caused to a large extend by the kind of multi-threading Go offers
which is something like "spawn as many thousand threads as you
like".

Being able to spawn as many thousand threads as needed without
caring about it seems to be an important aspect for being an
interesting offering for developing server-side software. It
would be nice if D could also play in that niche. This could be
some killer domain for D beyond being a better C++.

While Go uses channels and goroutines D takes some actor-style
approach when spawning threads. This is also fine, but the
problems remains that you cannot create as many D kernel threads
just as you like. Maybe this could be something to improve in D
and promote in order to give D a further boost. I don't mean to
be pushy, it's just about exchanging ideas ;-). The
FiberScheduler by Sean Kelly could achieve something in that
direction. What do you think?

Regards, Bienlein