DIP60: @nogc attribute

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 16 14:14:44 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 at 17:39:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Not practical. malloc() is only one way of allocating memory -
> user defined custom allocators are commonplace.

Not sure why this is not practical. If the custom allocators are
in D then you should be able to track all the way down to malloc.
In sensitive code like NMIs you DO want to use custom allocators
(allocating from a pool, ring buffer etc) or none at all.

However, I think it falls into the same group as tracking
syscalls in a call chain. And I guess you would have to think
about library/syscall tracers such as ltrace, dtrace/truss,
strace, ktrace, SystemTap etc too…