DIP60: @nogc attribute

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 16 16:14:31 PDT 2014

On 4/16/2014 3:45 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 at 22:34:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> malloc is hardly the only storage allocator.
>
> Except for syscalls such as brk/sbrk, which ones are you thinking of?

I've written several myself that do not use malloc. Even the Linux kernel does
not use malloc. Windows offers many ways to allocate memory without malloc.
Trying to have a core language detect attempts to write a storage allocator is
way, way beyond the scope of what is reasonable for it to do.

And, frankly, I don't see a point for such a capability. malloc is hardly the
only problem people will encounter with realtime callbacks. You'll want to avoid
disk I/O, network access, etc., too.