DIP60: @nogc attribute

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 17 02:55:36 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 17 April 2014 at 09:32:52 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Any iOS device runs circles around those systems, hence why I
> always like to make clear it was Apple's failure to make a
> workable GC in a C based language and not the virtues of pure
> ARC over pure GC.

I am not making an argument for pure ARC. Objective-C allows you
to mix and Os-X is most certainly not pure ARC based.

If we go back in time to the timeslot you point to even C was
considered waaaay too slow for real time graphics.

On the C64 and the Amiga you wrote in assembly and optimized for
the hardware. E.g. using hardware scroll register on the C64 and
the copperlist (a specialized scanline triggered processor
writing to hardware registers) on the Amiga. No way you could do
real time graphics in a GC backed language back then without a
dedicated engine with HW support. Real time audio was done with
DSPs until the mid 90s.