DIP60: @nogc attribute

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 17 10:05:39 PDT 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 04:35:34 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/2014 8:13 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:

>> I've never heard of Obj-C users complaining about the inc/dec costs.
>
> Obj-C only uses ARC for a minority of the objects.

Really? Every Obj-C API I've seen uses Objective-C objects, which all use
RC.

>> iOS is a competent realtime platform, Apple are well known for their
>> commitment
>> to silky-smooth, jitter-free UI and general feel.
>
> A UI is a good use case for ARC. A UI doesn't require high performance.

I've written video processing/players on iOS, they all use blocks and
reference counting, including to do date/time processing per frame. All
while using RC network buffers. And it works quite smoothly.

-Steve