Finally full multidimensional arrays support in D

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 17 11:12:52 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 03:16:20PM +0000, CJS via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 21:25:34 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> >Jared Miller:
> >
> >>And yes, I think that a matrix / linear algebra library, as well as
> >>NumPy-style ND-Arrays are great candidates for future Phobos
> >>modules.
> >
> >I suggest to not put such library in Phobos before few years of usage
> >in the wild.
> >

> +1
>
> Good matrix support would be awesome. But getting it wrong would be a
> catastrophe. I don't really support ever putting it in phobos, but if
> it is, then it should only be added after lots of experience.

I've been longing for a high-quality, flexible, generic linear algebra
library in D. I don't have the time / resources to implement it myself,
otherwise I would.

But I agree that any such candidate library needs to be put in real-life
use for a while before being considered for Phobos.

I think the first step would be to refine Denis' n-dimensional array
library until it's Phobos-quality, then linear algebra specific
adaptations can be built on top. I think the two should be separated,
even if they are still related. Conflating 2D arrays with matrices at a
fundamental level is a mistake IMO. 2D arrays are just one of the
possible representations of a matrix, and any linear algebra library
should be flexible enough to use other representations (e.g., sparse
matrices).

He who laughs last thinks slowest.