DIP60: @nogc attribute

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 18 01:13:57 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 01:07:40 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Kapps:
>
>> That code is not @nogc safe, as you're creating a dynamic
>> array within it. The fact that LDC2 at full optimizations
>> doesn't actually allocate is simply an optimization and does
>> not affect the design of the code.
>
> I've added the opposite of what you say in the DIP. So Walter
> can fix it if it's wrong, or leave it there if it's right,
> because that DIP can't miss to to specify one behavour or the
> other:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP60
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Flags such as -O are specifically not supposed to change program
behaviour. This being the case would completely discard that and
allow code to be compiled only with a single compiler. Honestly,
I think expecting that code to be allowed to use @nogc is a huge
mistake and disagree with editing the DIP to include this solely
because you decided it should.