Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 18 09:40:31 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 16:10:03 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 14:04:04 UTC, Aleksandar Ruzicic
> wrote:
>>
>> So, what do you guys think?
>>
> I _strongly_ suggest any proposed redesign retain the
> left-justification seen in the current design.  It improves
> readability and gives opportunities for better information
> density.
>
> I know centred, fixed-width designs are in vogue, but for a
> documentation project, I would that the gutters instead be
> turned to more useful purposes.  Like documentation.
>
> -Wyatt

I must respectfully disagree about retaining left justification.
I have 27'' monitor with resolution of 2560x1440 and left-aligned
websites are really hard to read!

There is a reason why most editors have "zen mode" which centers
your code on a screen. It's easier to read when it's centered and
not too wide.

Current design has no limitation on line width which (at my
resolution) results in ~300 characters wide lines, and it's
really unreadable.

I would go for a maximum of 120 characters wide lines with
content centered on larger monitors.

-- Aleksandar