Redesign of dlang.org

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 18 09:42:42 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 15:49:59 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/18/14, 8:30 AM, David Gileadi wrote:
>> It does mean that the site is static HTML, so any dynamism
>> needs to be
>> JS-only (and I think any efforts to make the pages largely
>> JS-driven
>> would meet resistance).
>
> We can (and probably should) integrate server-side scripting as
> well. http://dlang.org/bugstats uses PHP. Ideally we'd migrate
> the entire website to vibe.d.
>
> Andrei

I assume moving from DDoc to something like Vibe'd's Jade
templates isn't on the table (for reasons such as losing the spec
ebook generation and others). The only advantage I can think of
with moving to vibe.d is if ddox were used for the entire site
and would manage the regeneration of pages automatically, pulling
from github itself. Then any pull request that a reviewer merges
could trigger a site update.

With more frequent updates, D-P-L/dlang.org would need to
properly use version branches to avoid having prerelease changes
but that's a change that's been needed for a long time. I'm not
sure if ddox was intended for something like this though (static
pages, as opposed to just documentation generation). Sönke would
probably have to weigh in and say if there is any real advantage
here. Making stuff "Powered by D" is always a nice change though.