DIP60: @nogc attribute

paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 18 10:36:08 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 at 22:11:23 UTC, froglegs wrote:

>> I am really looking forward to .NET Native becoming widespread.
>>
>> Then this type of comparisons (C# vs C++) will be quite
>> different.
>

>  I don't think it will make a major difference. Taking a GC
> based language and giving it a native compiler doesn't
> automatically make it performance competitive with C++(see
> Haskel and D(without dumping GC) on anything besides micro
> bench marks).
>
> C# is still GC based, still makes heavy use of indirection(See
> Herb Sutters recent talk on arrays).

Also possible in C# with structs, interop annotations and unsafe
blocks.

Don't forget that Herb Sutters also has a C++ agenda to sell.

> C++ exposes SSE/AVX intrinsics, C# does not.

That is not correct.

1 - Nowhere in the ANSI/ISO C++ are SSE/AVX intrinsics defined,
those are compiler extensions. So equal foot with the C# EMCA
standard;

2 - .NET Native makes use of Visual C++'s backend with all the
automatic vectorization and other code generation optimizations
Visual C++ developers enjoy;

3 - .NET Native and RyuJIT have official support for SIMD
instructions, GPGPU support is also planned

--
Paulo