DIP60: @nogc attribute

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 18 13:58:58 PDT 2014

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:40:06 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> This isn't quite correct. I implemented a GC for Java back in the 90's.
> D has semantics that are conducive to GC that C doesn't have, and this
> was done based on my experience with GC's. To wit, objects can't have
> internal references, so that a moving collector can be implemented.

This isn't correct. Only structs cannot have internal references. Objects
don't move or copy so easily.

Not only that, but internal pointers would not prevent a moving GC.

>> I don't feel like you've given me any evidence that ARC in not
>> feasible. Just
>> that you're not interested in trying it out.
>> Please, kill it technically. Not just with dismissal and FUD.
>
> I've given you technical reasons. You don't agree with them, that's ok,
> but doesn't mean I have not considered your arguments, all of which have
> come up before. See the thread for the previous discussion on this. It's
> not like I haven't tried.
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/l34lei$255v$1@digitalmars.com

Note, there are much more practical reasons to enable reference counting
-- interoperating natively with Objective-C and iOS/MacOS.

-Steve