Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 00:48:09 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 22:08:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 4/18/2014 10:04 AM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:
>>
>> I have also tried to design something myself (although I'm not
>> designer) and this is what I came up with:
>>
>> http://krcko.net/dlang.org/dlang-home-draft1.png
>>
>> I'm not entirely satisfied with it but I believe that it looks
>> better
>> (or at least more modern) than the current design.
>>

>> So, what do you guys think?
>>

> I'm normally very skeptical and critical of "staying modern"
> (and regarding someone's mention of Win8 - I find Win8
> downright UGLY) - However...I really like your design, quite a
> lot.
>
> As long as it's:
>
> - A normal reflowing layout (not a static fixed-width one or an
> auto-rescaling one)

Of course.

> - Doesn't require JS (optional JS enhancements are fine)

I was told you would oppose usage of JavaScript. :)
But as I've said already I plan on using JavaScript to enhance
things a bit only, site would function normally with JavaScript
unavailable/disabled.

> - Works reasonably well on mobile *including* a complete and
> total lack of that "no zooming allowed" abomination that seems
> so popular these days (As far as I'm concerned, full
> user-controlled scaling is *mandatory* for good usability on
> tiny hand-held devices, especially on these "modern" capacitive
> ones incapable of registering presses from anything more
> accurate than a blunt finger - or for anyone with less than
> 20/20 eyesight)

Agreed. And it shouldn't just work reasonably well on mobile, it
must work flawlessly well :)