Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 01:16:19 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 April 2014 at 00:08:06 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 14:04:04 UTC, Aleksandar Ruzicic
> wrote:
>> So, what do you guys think?
>> -- Aleksandar
>
> I do agree that the design of the current site is rather dated.
> I rather like your new proposed design as well. One thing that
> could be nicer is the search bar being a button to click. It's
> standard now to just make it an input of type search with
> place-holder text now, which is faster and more useable. Even
> better, it could be automatically focused on when you load the
> (documentation) page so you can immediately start typing to
> look up an API / language feature.

It sure looks like a button and it wouldn't be a button. It would
be a regular text (search) input field (something that would be
apparent as soon as you hover it and get that I-beam cursor over
it) that would expand on click/focus (no JS needed there, don't
worry Nick!).

> People who go directly to the homepage are likely coming to
> check out what D is or why they should use it (which the
> homepage shows), find a download button (which could still be
> improved upon), or search the documentation (which is still a
> few clicks away). I'd argue that most people are going for the
> third option since you don't need to download often and people
> just checking it out don't return frequently to check it out
> again. Having an immediate search field, ideally with
> autofocus, makes finding documentation a very easy task.

I'm slightly against autofocus on search field, as I am one of
people who use Backspace to navigate to previous page and I'm
always frustrated when I hit Backspace on Google search results
page and it's not taking me to previous page.
But if majority thinks that autofocus on search is a good thing
(I also think that not many people use Backspace as a means of
navigation) than I would make it like that (and if there would be
that little preferences page/popup this option is something that
can go there together with justification settings).

> A prominent download button immediately visible on the home
> page rather than the top nav-bar would be an improvement as
> well. Practically every site with something to download does
> this, for good reason. It's one of the first things that should
> jump out at you when you view the site, making it as little
> effort as possible to commit to at least downloading the
> installer (see Dart, Python, Rust, Go, Ruby, etc). The longer /
> more effort it takes to do something, the less likely people
> are to try it unless they're already very convinced it's
> something they need.

Download sites do that, so does sites that sell software. I think
that dlang.org should focus on promoting D as a language, and
compiler implementations should not be in spotlight.
Also I think that having Download in top-nav as a first option is
prominent enough. I've put what I think are the most important
sections in top-nav bar (other navigation items should go to
context-sensitive sidebar).