Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 14:44:19 PDT 2014

On 4/19/2014 6:56 AM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:
> Ok here's a mockup of search concept I would like to implement:
>
> http://krcko.net/dlang.org/dlang-search-concept.png
>
> Search suggestions feature would surely require JavaScript but IMHO it
> would be a really nice enhancement.

I don't know anything about the specific search-suggestion engines, but
as far as looks I (mostly) really like it. Only two comments:

- There should be some visual indication of the search box besides the
text itself. It *looks* nice as you have it, but practically speaking
it'd be a bit awkward to not be able to see the box itself.

- A *lot* of search boxes on the internet these days bake the "Enter
search term here" (or whatever) text into the HTML, forcing non-JS users
to delete the text before they're able to enter their search term.
That's bad UX. Instead, the "Enter search term here" text should be
*added* via JS and left blank in the raw HTML. That's a trivial way to
ensure it works great for both JS and non-JS users.