Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 15:00:56 PDT 2014

On 4/18/2014 12:53 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:

> Even if it weren't better looking, just different, I'd say it should be
> done. I'm of the opinion that every site, no matter how good it looks,
> should go through redesigns periodically in order to feel fresh and
> non-stagnant to repeat visitors. It's a form of marketing that reassures
> users that something is being actively developed.

On a philosophical level, I *very* strongly disagree with this as I
think it amounts to deliberate enforcement of "screwing with shit that
ain't broke just for the sake of fucking around with it". If anything,
I'm more likely lose respect for things that can't just decide on a
look/layout and stick with it.

Constantly keeping *CONTENT* up-to-date is *far* more indicative of
active development than constant rejiggering of trivialities like style.
The latter gives the impression that the developers have their
priorities all wrong and are actively looking for anything to distract
themselves with.

*BUT*, I admit that's all just academic since I *do* agree that the
proposed new design does indeed look fantastic and is worthy of
replacing the current one.