Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 15:52:48 PDT 2014

On 4/18/2014 4:12 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:

> 1. visitors are likely to be familiar with one of those
> 2. they might have figured out something that works
> 3. you want to do at least what they do, but better

Good points.

IMO:

> http://www.rust-lang.org/

Too black-and-white.

> http://golang.org/

Too cluttered *and* too plain-white.

> https://www.dartlang.org/

This is a popular new style that I really, really dislike. The entry
page basically amounts to one of those horribly useless "intro/entry"
pages that used to be popular in the late 90's even though nobody liked
them (*because* they were so completely useless). It's not quite *as*
bad as those old intro pages, but it's only just *barely* better.
They've dedicated their entire entry page to little more than a slogan.
I hate pointless entry pages like that.

It's such a "trendy" style that I guarantee it's going to look dated
within 5 years.

 > https://www.python.org/

This is a much better, less useless, variant of the popular
"dartlang.org" style above. It isn't bad, but I'm not sure D really
needs to follow this style.