Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 16:19:37 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 April 2014 at 23:06:55 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 4/19/2014 6:01 PM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:
>> That can surely be stored in a Cookie, but I also prefer
>> localStorage,
>> mostly for performance reasons (cookies get sent on *every*
>> request,
>> unless you setup subdomain just for that type of cookies) and
>> for the
>> fact that cookies are the worst thing ever happened to HTTP :)
>
> Session cookies are a few **bytes** in size. Selection of
> languages/frameworks would also be a mere handful of bytes.
> That's completely dwarfed by just the HTTP headers alone.
>
> There is *NO* performance issue here whatsoever unless you're
> on a circa-1980's dial-up (in which case the cookie itself
> *still* isn't going to be the main performance issue ;) )

Yes they are few bytes but they are sent for *every* request.
That includes every image, every css/js file..

When working on large scale you want to avoid any unnecessary
headers, not so much because of a client but because of a server.

I work on a website that has millions unique visits weakly and
when I've introduced new subdomain for static content (so that
cookies wouldn't be sent for every image, and images are major
form of content there) we've noticed improvements on server's
performance charts.

So I'll always argue that having less cookies means (even
slightly) better performance :)

But anyway, we're going slightly off-topic with this..