Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 19 16:30:19 PDT 2014

On 4/19/2014 4:16 AM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:

> I'm slightly against autofocus on search field, as I am one of people
> who use Backspace to navigate to previous page and I'm always frustrated
> when I hit Backspace on Google search results page and it's not taking
> me to previous page.
> But if majority thinks that autofocus on search is a good thing (I also
> think that not many people use Backspace as a means of navigation) than
> I would make it like that (and if there would be that little preferences
> page/popup this option is something that can go there together with
> justification settings).

I use a browser extension to disable backspace navigation since I get
annoyed when I try to type something and the browser decides to navigate
to a different page ;).

That said, I don't really have an preference on autofocus vs not-autofocus.

> Download sites do that, so does sites that sell software. I think that
> dlang.org should focus on promoting D as a language, and compiler
> implementations should not be in spotlight.
> Also I think that having Download in top-nav as a first option is
> prominent enough. I've put what I think are the most important sections
> in top-nav bar (other navigation items should go to context-sensitive
> sidebar).

I strongly believe that a prominent link the the downloads page is one
of the *most* important things to have in the top-nav bar. We may not be
selling it for $$, but we are "selling" people on it. I know I get
annoyed when I'm on some software's website, want to download it, and
have to looking around for it because I don't see a download link in the
typical download link location (top nav-bar). We want people to download
it and try it, so it's good to match people's expectations here.