Redesign of dlang.org

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 20 05:04:23 PDT 2014

I just had a non-alcohol beer, so I think I'll rant some more
while I'm at it:

WHY don't the community front the story of Walter Bright's D
vision on the front-page? It is a wonderful selling point that
appeals to geeks and make them interested:

1. Competent: Wrote a well known C++ compiler
2. Shared vision: Created D out of frustration with C++
3. Exciting: performance is key
4. Motives: Altruistic
5. A-political: open source, commercial friendly and international
6. Has a following: active community, community driven
7. Jump in: Open to participation

The current front page is too anonymous to make me interested.
The original (long time ago) website was more personal and there
was a sense of "personal drive" to it. It gave me a "Dang, that's
cool. That Walter dude is brave enough to take on C++. Gotta see
what this is all about." feeling.

A personal design with a personal vision is more attractive to me
than a "professional design" (which actually is just a fashion
statement) with longwinded descriptions that lacks focus (nobody
actually read those, they want to see code samples).

Not to say that there is a right or wrong way to go about web
site design, and a blend of the various approaches is probably
the right thing.

As an example I'll point out that this norwegian site has a very
good ranking at Google:

http://www.arngren.net/

It is not because it has wonderful design… ;-)