Redesign of dlang.org

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 02:40:50 PDT 2014

On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 16:40:32 UTC, Aleksandar Ruzicic
wrote:

> I have 27'' monitor with resolution of 2560x1440 and

Yeah, me too...

> left-aligned websites are really hard to read!

...so I have no idea what you're even talking about with this
statement.

> There is a reason why most editors have "zen mode" which
> centers your code on a screen. It's easier to read when it's
> centered and not too wide.

"most"? I have literally never seen this on any editor ever.  But
that's beside the point.

> Current design has no limitation on line width which (at my
> resolution) results in ~300 characters wide lines, and it's
> really unreadable.

To be clear, I'm not favouring unreadable CPL.  I'm specifically
against the useless gutters to the left and right that, alone,
are each too narrow to be particularly useful.  Never mind that
they account for roughly half of my screen area.  I'm not
inclined to support any design with that much wasted space.

Oddly enough, Wikipedia's main page gets this right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (Though I admit it doesn't
degrade gracefully to more narrow dimensions).

If proper aspect ratios hadn't been killed by cheapskate panel
manufacturers, we probably wouldn't even be having this
discussion.

-Wyatt