Redesign of dlang.org

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 04:42:51 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 April 2014 at 00:08:06 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> I do agree that the design of the current site is rather dated.
> I rather like your new proposed design as well. One thing that
> could be nicer is the search bar being a button to click. It's
> standard now to just make it an input of type search with
> place-holder text now, which is faster and more useable. Even
> better, it could be automatically focused on when you load the
> (documentation) page so you can immediately start typing to
> look up an API / language feature.

Autofocus breaks site navigation: instead of returning to where
you were previously, you end up focused on search box, which is
really annoying. It also breaks page navigation (similar mistake:
floating top panel on dart site). Whether it's standard or not, I
don't know, because when I see such disgusting UX, I leave the
site and never return if possible.
What you are talking about is what opensearch is for: you type
request right in the browser without opening any site and get
straight to the search results. I personally don't use search on
the site and forcing it on me on every page transition would be
undesirable.