Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 08:15:21 PDT 2014

On Monday, 21 April 2014 at 15:05:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/21/14, 5:01 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Friday, 18 April 2014 at 20:28:07 UTC, Aleksandar Ruzicic
>> wrote:
>>> I really like rust-lang.org, I was thinking of using it as a
>>> base for
>>> design but decided against it because I don't want dlang.org
>>> to be
>>> accused of ripping of rust-lang.org.
>>
>> This navigation layout was used for centuries in paper books.
>> Recently
>> it was used by gcc docs and w3c docs. I personally see no
>> reason for the
>> side bar: it's never used, just wastes space, which could be
>> used even
>> on 2500 display and maximized browser window: font can be
>> zoomed too,
>> then the side bar becomes a nuisance, while remaining useless
>> (the case
>> for forum.dlang.org).
>
> Wait, are you advocating for text occupying the entire page
> width, like a telex band? Aren't text lines difficult to follow
> from the right side to the continuing left side? -- Andrei

Yes, there were numerous studies about line length (I don't have
any links to back this with but I'm sure that searching for "web
typography line length" on google would provide some useful
articles). And optimal line length is some 80-90 characters
(including the whitespace), I'll try not to cross that boundary
much.