Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 12:38:59 PDT 2014

On Monday, 21 April 2014 at 18:35:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/21/14, 8:48 AM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:
>> On Sunday, 20 April 2014 at 17:11:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's do it. Thank you very much! -- Andrei
>>
>> Just one question, would it be okay to depend on node.js/npm
>> to manage
>> dependencies (i.e. CSS/JS frameworks) and build CSS/JS files?
>
> Ionno. Not an expert, but I'd say the fewer dependencies the
> better. Add them only if it's onerously hard to get work done
> without and/or if their payoff is large.

Understood.

>> As I'd use Sass for styling, which must be translated to CSS
>> (I'd use
>> node-sass package witch doesn't require ruby), and browserify
>> to have
>> Common-JS modules..
>
> I think you should be fine with ddoc macros instead of Sass.
>

> Andrei

I'm not sure if it is smart to use simple text macro processing
system as a replacement for full-featured DSL such is Sass. And I
don't think that some features available (and really useful!) in
Sass are even possible with Ddoc. For example branching with @if,
composing of various style sets to optimal CSS (Sass has @extend
directive for this).
Also, Ddoc can't minify resulting CSS which is something that is
considered good practice (serve gzipped minified JS/CSS), so some
external tool must be used for that. With node-sass we can get
all that and more (i.e. source maps)..