Can't figure out how to use the compiler

Plorf via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 12:39:59 PDT 2014

I downloaded the DMD Windows compiler, installed it in the
default directory, added its location to the system path,
restarted my computer and wrote a sample "hello, world" program,
and it won't compile; instead it says "Error: cannot read file
hello.d". My computer is 64-bit, if that matters at all. Can
someone please explain how to get the DMD compiler to work or
provide some links? This has really been frustrating me. Thanks.