DIP60: @nogc attribute

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 14:06:35 PDT 2014

On Monday, 21 April 2014 at 20:29:46 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> example he gives (and I agree with him) is iOS. Just look at
> the success of iOS, where the entire OS API is based on ARC
> (actually RC, with an option for both ARC and manual, but the
> latter is going away). If ARC was "so bad", the iOS experience
> would show it. You may have doubts, but I can assure you I can
> build very robust and performant code with ARC in iOS.

I am sure you are right about the last part, but the entire iOS
API is not based on ARC.

You only use Objective-C to obtain contexts and configure them.
After that you do everything performance sensitive in pure C.
That goes for everything from Quartz (which is C, not
Objective-C), OpenGL (C, not Objective-C) to AudioUnits (C, not
Objective-C).

What is true is that you have bridges between manual ref counting
where it exists in Core Foundation and Foundation, but just
because you have a counter does not mean that you use it. ;-)

> It's pretty pervasive on iOS. ARC has been around since iOS 4.3
> (circa 2011).

Not if you are doing systems level programming. You are talking
about application level programming and on that level it is
pervasive, but iOS apps have advanced rendering-engines to rely
on for audio/video.