Redesign of dlang.org

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 09:38:18 PDT 2014

On 4/21/14, 11:51 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 21/04/14 23:23, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I confess getting a bit uncomfortable about adding new dependencies at
>> this point. We depend on dpl-docs already, and the tool was difficult to
>> install and broke from one dmd release to the next. Sönke was nice and
>> proactive about it, but he's an active member of the community. If we
>> find issues with tooling coming from the outside - and we will - we're
>> on our own. It would help if many people in the community are fluent
>> with them.
>
> I've used Sass a lot. Although not via node.

Good to know, thanks.

>> Adding a tool right now that has overlapping functionality with
>> ddoc/dpl-docs, and that is relatively unknown within the community
>> sounds like a tall order.
>
> Sass doesn't overlap with ddoc.

I'm clearly outta my depth here, basing myself off of giving
http://sass-lang.com/guide a couple minutes. From what I can tell here's
how ddoc matches up sass features:

Pre-processing: yes
Variables: yes
Nesting: no
Partials, Import: somewhat (by passing several ddoc files to dmd)
Mixins: yes
Extend/Inheritance: no
Operators: no

I'm glad to see a revamp of dlang.org happening. Again if the added
tools bring great advantages with them, fine. But we can't add
dependencies carelessly and only for minor convenience.

Let me ask Aleksandar again: we already depend on dpl-docs since
recently. Is it helping/competing with the new tools you plan to add?

Andrei