DIP60: @nogc attribute

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 12:13:59 PDT 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:02:05 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:12:17 -0400, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If you see no value in static guarantees of memory safety, then what
>>> can I say?
>>
>> Seriously, the straw man arguments have to stop.
>>
>> There is plenty of valuable D code that is not guaranteed memory safe.
>
> Memory safety is not a strawman. It's a critical feature for a modern
> language, and will become ever more important.

No, a straw man argument is when you imply that I am arguing from a
position that is similar to my actual position, but obviously flawed. Then
proceed to attack the straw man.

Example:

     A: Sunny days are good.
     B: If all days were sunny, we'd never have rain, and without rain,
we'd have famine and death.

At no time did I ever say I see no value in static guarantees of memory
safety. But I also see value in ref counting for performance and memory
purposes in NON memory-safe code.

-Steve