DIP60: @nogc attribute

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 12:15:41 PDT 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:10:31 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> Generally, when investing a lot of time and energy into something, you
>> want to
>> make sure the market is there first...
>
> Ironic, considering that nobody but me believed there was a market for D
> before it existed :-)

Sure but I'm not prepared to generate a new language over this. If you
won't accept it, there's no point in making it.

In other words, YOU are the market ;)

*disclaimer* I am in no shape to actually make such a proposal/change, and
probably it would come out horribly if I tried, implementation-wise. I
simply am trying to convince you that it would be a valuable addition to D
so others may see an opportunity there.

> I do believe there is a market for ARC in D. What I don't believe are
> the various claims about how insignificant its costs are, and I'm not so
> willing to give up on memory safety.

You don't have to. Just make ARC not @safe.

-Steve